Obesity is a common problem in domestic pets, but it is preventable. While spoiling our fur babies, it is important to consider their health and provide them with a complete and balanced diet, as well as regular exercise.
It is important to monitor your pet’s weight and body condition.
Some of the conditions that can occur as a result of excess weight are:
- Exercise intolerance and decreased stamina
- Respiratory compromise (breathing difficulty)
- Heart intolerance
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Liver disease
- Osteoarthritis (lameness)
- Increased surgical/ anaesthetic risk
Regular physical activity is important for a healthy animal.
Engaging in regular activities is not only great for exercise but also mental stimulation.
- For cats, this can involve chasing toys, walks on a leash, food games or activity platform.
- For dogs, there are a variety of activities, from walking or running, to chasing a ball, agility training and swimming.
It is important to discuss with a nurse or veterinarian the most suitable diet for your pet’s energy and nutritional requirements.